Email:  wellnesswithinhealthcoaching@gmail.com
Phone: +61 410 326 549

Receive My Best Weekly Health Tips, Recipes, and More!
Every week I send my subscribers a newsletter where I share one tried and tested Health Tip that you can use immediately to improve your health. Click "Subscribe!" to Join Now!

Healthy Christmas – how to survive the Festive Season without compromising your Health

Have a Healthy Christmas…how to survive the Festive Season without compromising your Health!

It’s that magical time of year again when we celebrate Christmas, the end of another year and get together with our friends and loved ones. It’s also the time of year when we tend to over indulge for the most of December and well into the new year.

Christmas isn’t the best time to lose weight, but a good goal is to maintain your current weight so that you’re not spending the first month (or two) of the new year, trying to fit back into your work clothes.

So how do you stay healthy this Christmas? Here are 5 tips to help you out:

1.Don’t go to a party hungry

It’s all about preparation if you’re going to get through this season without gaining weight. Eat something healthy and light before a party to reduce the chances of snacking on party food. If you’re asked to bring a plate, bring something that is aligned to your health goals, so that you have something to eat if there are no healthy options. Besides, what kind of a crappy friend are you if you provide them with processed food, full of sugar, trans fats and preservatives!

2.Keep moving

Don’t forget to keep up the exercise to counteract the extra food intake. Not only does it get you away from the Christmas treats, but this time of year gyms are almost empty, so enjoy not having to wait to use equipment or not bumping into someone whilst your doing your sun salutations! And if gyms aren’t your thing, go for a walk after dinner to help your food digest, play back yard cricket with the kids or start swimming. Whatever movement you choose………. just do it and enjoy it!

3.Go easy on the booze!

I’m not saying don’t drink at all, but you can limit your alcohol consumption and still have a good time. Alcohol is full of empty calories and loosens your inhibitions, which may cause you to eat foods you normally wouldn’t, like fried spring rolls and sausage rolls.

Limit your glasses of alcohol to one per hour and drink water in between. Better still, dilute your drinks with ice and mineral water.

4.Stay Hydrated

On the day of a big night out and the next morning, try to drink at least 8 glasses of water. The diuretic effect of alcohol combined with mild dehydration and the summer heat can lead to headaches. When you get home, put a glass of water beside your bed and follow it up with another when you wake up.

5.Get back on track

Just because you may have overindulged the night before, it’s important to get back on track the next day. Don’t skip meals, drink water and keep your body moving. I like to apply the 80:20 principle, where I eat healthily 80% of the time and the remaining 20% allows me space to indulge in delicious treats at weekends and on special occasions.

The key is balance. As Rachel Brathen says:

“Dance all night long and practice yoga the next day. Drink wine but don’t forget your green juice. Eat chocolate when your heart wants it and kale salad when your body needs it. Wear high heels on Saturday and walk barefoot on Sunday….”

Receive My Best Weekly Health Tips, Recipes, and More!
Every week I send my subscribers a newsletter where I share one tried and tested Health Tip that you can use immediately to improve your health. Click "Subscribe!" to Join Now!

2 Comments

  1. Annie on December 9, 2018 at 7:58 am

    Lots of good tips! Thank you?

    • Profile photo of Natalie Wagner Natalie Wagner on January 16, 2019 at 3:22 pm

      Thanks Annie. Hope you had a healthy Christmas 🙂

Leave a Comment